When we left for the YMCA today to go to class I was bracing for the worst.... and hoping for the best. Sadie is usually a VERY calm girl and I was desperately hoping that she would remember being in the pool from last week. We got to the locker room and got changed and met my friend and her daughter, Geneva (Sadie's partner in crying from last week). Geneva was already crying and I sighed and thought... well at least it is only a 1/2 hour class. We went out to the pool and were about to get in when the teacher told us that the pool was pretty cold today. Another sigh..... babies in a cold pool is not going to work. I thought to myself, this just might be the longest 1/2 hour of the week. We got in and I sat Sadie on the wall, where we start the lesson... no tears, but she looked a little worried. Class always starts out with a song and putting water on the kids so that they get used to the temperature. I was POSITIVE that by the time we got to getting the shoulders wet Sadie would be in full melt down mode. So we started with the toes, then the knees.. no crying ... then the tummy ... still no crying. Here we go I thought as we got to the part in the song where we get the shoulders wet... NO CRYING!!!!!!!! Pheww I could not believe it. BUT she still had to get in the pool. She got in and was still happy! I could not believe my luck! We went through all the "drills" in the class today with not one tear! The last 5 minutes is always free time. I grabbed a kick board and laid Sadie on it. She kicked all the way down the length of the pool and back. She was having so much fun we went down and back a few more times... kicking her legs all the way as she happily chatted at anyone who would talk to her. What a big girl!!!!!!
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wahoo, success!!!! That's great! How fun to have her be chatting with everyone you pass too. She was really comfortable!
HOW WONDERFUL!!!! I suggest that you continue to give her a few cold water baths for her to "swim" in between classes and after she graduates. That is what kept my kids familiar with getting their faces wet and blowing bubbles and putting their heads underwater duriong winters. Made a huge difference for when summer came and going to an actual pool.
Post a Comment