Thursday, November 13, 2008

Second chance at a miracle






So I've been trying to decide for a few days if I would blog about this or not and finally decided that I would. So here it goes. I started shots on 11/3 for another round of fertility treatment. This time we will be doing a frozen embryo transfer. We had 5 viable embryo's left after our IVF cycle that were put on "ice" (cryopreservation--sp???). This frozen embryo cycle is similar to what I did for IVF minus the egg stimulation and extraction which was the worst part. It is also substantially cheaper (by almost $9000). So I have been giving myself an injection of 20 units of Lupron everyday since the 3rd. It essentially "shuts down" the bodies reproductive hormone system, and in the next 7-10 they will add a estrogen pill to start things up again. During the IVF cycle I only took 5 units of Lupron, and I'm really noticing the difference in the increased amount of hormones pumping through my body. I feel GROUCHY 24/7, have very weird dreams and could cry at a cotton commercial. Damn you Aaron Neville!! Part of me wonders why I'm doing all this again, and then I look at my sweet beautiful Sadie. The crying, and grouchiness and everything else that goes along with this IS all worth it. And I have living proof everyday. I would have done this a million times to get Sadie, so I can do this once more for our second chance at a miracle baby.





6 comments:

Michelle Williams said...

Go Shelly! I'll pray for your success and your hubbies survival of the grouchiness!

Sadie is BEAUTIFUL and adorable, who wouldn't want more with her as an taste test! But even if the next one tries your best parenting skills, they are still worth it.

Dan & Jen said...

You are right...I am thankful a million times a week for our little "Bonus" baby. Good luck - I'm know it takes a lot out of you (emotionally and physically) and if you ever need a little boost, know that I'm thinking of you. Love you!

jenafeldman said...

that last post was me (jenn) not dan ; ) Not that dan wouldn't be thinking of you too... ha ha

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Isn't it the truth - the toughest thing you'll ever love...they are definitely worth it! Sadie is adorable by the way. Wish we lived closer. I'd let your grouch around me any day!

The Schurr Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karalee said...

Well, I have to honestly admit that I can cry at the drop of a hat at a silly commercial as well, and I don't have the excuse of giving myself hormone shots. I guess it is in the genes. My dad is the same way.

Good luck making it through this crazy part. It will be worth it in the end!